Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Eggs and Asparagus: Two Meals!

I had my fill of eggs and asparagus last week (YUM!), so I thought I'd share with you two yummy recipes I made with these two ingredients...

Mike doesn't care for asparagus. But I looooove asparagus. Now some might think this difference in opinions of asparagus could affect our upcoming marriage. And I would agree that it will affect our marriage...but in the best way possible. You see, I'll buy asparagus at the store and have it all to myself! 

Yessss. 

Win win for me! I cannot wait.


On two different evenings last week, Mike had frisbee so I was on my own for dinner. And that's when I cooked asparagus, one of my all-time favorite spring veggies. On the first evening, I made an "egg over toast with asparagus and goat cheese" dish. This could not be easier!!

I toasted a piece of rosemary & olive oil bread from When Pigs Fly for the toast, buttered it lightly, and then topped it with a fried egg, sauteed asparagus, and some herbed goat cheese (the same cheese I used in our smoked salmon and goat cheese quesadillas).


For the asparagus, I sauteed it in olive oil over medium heat for about 8 to 10 minutes with some minced garlic and salt & pepper.


The only slight disappointment with this dish was that I accidentally overcooked my egg. Bummer. I prefer a slightly runny yolk but this one was just overcooked. Oh well! Next time the dish will be even better with a runny yolk. And there will be a next time for this one. :)


On the second night, I made this delicious egg and asparagus garden salad. Again, this could not be easier! A couple nights before I had cooked a few hard boiled eggs, so I cut one up for the salad. I also added a couple other veggies that I had on hand in addition to the asparagus - tomatoes and carrots. I left the tomatoes and carrot raw but the asparagus was cooked (same method as with the previous dish - sauteed), and I let it cool before adding it to the salad. And I still had some of that fantastic herbed goat cheese, so I sprinkled some on the salad as well. Personally, I like to keep my salad dressing simple, so I dressed this delightful, fresh salad with just a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Seriously delicious.


Aren't the colors in this salad so pretty? Love it! And it's clearly a very healthy meal too. Gotta love that as well.


This is definitely another dish I will plan to make again. It takes no time at all! Perfect for a busy night when you don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen and are looking for a light and healthy meal. And you could really add any veggies you'd like to it.

:)


Happy mid-week to you all! Woohoo for Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment