Friday, May 13, 2011

Strawberry Scones



(Note: this blog post was originally published on May 11th, but due to system problems with Blogger, the post and all comments were erased. I had to re-create the post, so this is technically Strawberry Scones, Take 2! If you commented the first time, feel free to comment again. ;-))

You may remember a couple weeks ago when I included some delicious sounding strawberry scones from Annie's Eats in my Friday Favorites. I had mentioned them when referencing the Royal Wedding (oh my goodness, how beautiful was Kate's dress?? I seriously loved it). Anyway, back to these scones... :)

I actually made these the day after the Royal Wedding, but it's obviously taken me a little time to blog about them! These scones were simply delicious, and they were also quite simple to make!


(Strawberries, I ♥ you)


I had a really fun time baking these. That may sound silly, but it's true. The process of making them was very enjoyable...and I also couldn't wait for the final product to be done so I could try one of these flavorful, delicious treats. :)


Ingredients:

-1 large egg
-1/4 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
-1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
-1 tsp. orange or lemon zest (I used orange)
-2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I ended up using about 2 and 1/2 cups)
-1/4 cup sugar (plus more for sprinkling)
-1 Tbsp. baking powder (yes, it's one TABLEspoon)
-1/2 tsp. salt
-8 Tbsp. cold, unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
-1 heaping cup fresh, diced strawberries

Instructions:

In s small bowl, whisk the egg, yogurt, milk, and zest until blended, and set aside. In a bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pulse briefly to blend. Add the butter pieces to the bowl with the dry ingredients and pulse several times to cut the butter into the flour, until the largest butter pieces are the size of small peas. If you don't have a food processor, you can also mix the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and cut in the butter using a pastry blender or two knives or forks.
Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.

Add the strawberries to the flour mixture and toss to coat. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and gently fold together with a fork or spatula until a sticky dough has formed (I added more flour at this point because the mixture was too sticky/wet for me to work with). Knead a few times to ensure that all the dry ingredients are incorporated and the dough is cohesive. If you think it's needed, you can add one more tablespoon of milk at a time to hydrate the remaining dry ingredients).

Transfer the dough to a well-floured work surface and pat into a disc about 7 or 8 inches in diameter. Sprinkle lightly with additional sugar. Slice the disc into 8 wedges.

To bake the scones, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper (I used the latter). Place the shaped scones on the prepared baking sheet and bake until lightly browed on top, about 15 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before serving. To freeze, transfer the baking sheet with the shaped scones to the freezer and let them chill until they are firm, 30 to 60 minutes. Wrap the scones individually and store in a freezer-safe bag until ready to bake. Bake as originally indicated, adding a few minutes to the baking time (about 18-20 minutes).

I did freeze the scones for about 60 minutes before baking them. Annie from Annie's Eats recommended that you freeze them before baking if you're not planning to eat them right away (I was bringing these scones to a brunch the day after making them).




I really cannot wait to make these again this spring and summer while strawberries are in season. :) They were super delicious!!

See you again soon!

4 comments:

  1. All of these pretty seasonal strawberries definitely make me want to get in the kitchen and bake with them constantly! These scones look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that strawberry, goat cheese, and basil salad you made the other day, Joanne! The strawberries made it look so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm coming over for breakfast every day this week to have these with YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete