Sunday, March 24, 2013

Herbed Buttermilk Biscuits (Cooking Light)


Homemade breads are such a comfort food. And buttermilk biscuits most definitely fit into this category. Last week I had some buttermilk left after making my Irish soda bread (with whiskey soaked raisins and whiskey butter syrup ;)), so I decided to make buttermilk biscuits with the leftover buttermilk. What a great decision! Mike and I loved these biscuits, and I can't wait to make them again.

The recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks that I've enjoyed for several years now, The Best of Cooking Light. I remember making these biscuits years ago (pre-blog) and I actually don't think I've made them since! Such a shame since it's such a fabulous recipe. I absolutely need to remember to continue making these regularly from here on out!

Below are the ingredients for the biscuits. The only change I made to the original recipe from Cooking Light was adding the dried herbs. We enjoyed these as both dinner and breakfast biscuits with the herbs. However, if you're more of a "plain jane," feel free to leave out the herbs. And of course, you can also interchange your own favorite herb or herb blend! I used herbs de provence when I made these.

Ingredients:

-2 cups all-purpose flour
-2 tsp. baking powder
-1/4 tsp. baking soda
-1/4 tsp. salt
-3 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. chilled butter, cut into small pieces
-3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
-1/2 to 3/4 tsp. dried herbs de provence

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 450. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, and stir until just moist (do not overstir).

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead 4 or 5 times (do not overknead). Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2 and 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on baking sheet. Bake at 450 for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden. Makes 1 dozen biscuits.


Before heading into the oven...


After! Look at how nicely they puffed up. Love the magic of leavening agents. :)


The biscuits rose a lot while baking, but after cooling, they did decrease just slightly in "puffiness."


I also wanted to mention that you shouldn't worry too much about the exact amount of butter. The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of butter. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I added closer to 4 tablespoons. Of course, I wouldn't go adding much more than that, but if you don't get the exact amount of butter called for in the original recipe, don't worry!


These biscuits are incredibly flaky and soft. Served warm with a little bit of butter, I think I could eat several of these in a row... And sadly, I'm not joking. However, not to worry, I limited myself to only two of these in one sitting last week!


I could see this biscuits working for many different "occasions." Perhaps for lunch or dinner alongside a nice salad or soup, in the form of a sandwich (see Boston blogger Megan's idea for BLT buttermilk biscuit sandwiches!)...or for breakfast as part of an egg sandwich or maybe with sausage and gravy. And then of course, you can enjoy these the more "traditional ways" with a bit of butter or your favorite jam.



Writing this blog post and looking at these pictures again is making me crave a biscuit... Too bad we don't have any left. :(


I also think these biscuits could be a wonderful addition to your Easter meal this coming weekend! 

This post is linked up to Taste and Tell Thursdays. :) Head over and check out some other great recipes from some awesome blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment