Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Zucchini Pizzas


I am beginning to feel as if every food blogger under the sun right now is talking about either zucchini or tomatoes. And you know what? That's totally okay with me. :) I can't get enough of either of these veggies right now! And I'm guessing that many of you might feel the same way....

Last week I made this suuuuper easy dinner of zucchini pizzas. These cute little pizzas are so easy to put together, and they're obviously rather healthy too! They're a great weekday meal when you might be short on time. They really don't take much more than 15 or 20 minutes to make!

I adapted a recipe for grilled zucchini pizza slices from Kalyn's Kitchen. I didn't go outside to turn on the grill, so I used the inside method of broiling that's described on Kalyn's Kitchen's recipe. Couldn't be easier!!

I'm not going to list ingredients and instructions here since it's a pretty straightforward recipe. Instead, I'll just describe each step as we go here...


Preheat your broiler. Slice a large zucchini into rounds, about 1/2 to 3/4-inch thick.


After slicing the zucchini, place the slices on a cookie sheet and cook under the broiler for about 4 to 5 minutes.

Remove from oven, and top each zucchini slice with desired amount of tomato sauce.


Next, add on your toppings of choice! I made three different pizzas when I made these, based solely on what I happened to have on hand at the time. So, I made one with just tomato slices...


And one with some slices of chicken I had cooked a previous night...


And another had zucchini (double zucchini whammy!) and onions, which were already cooked and had been left over from another night.


Top each mini pizza with cheese.


I used cheese I had on hand, which happened to be provolone and feta.

After putting your toppings, place the pizzas back under the broiler for another 4 to 5 minutes or so, or until the cheese is melted to your liking.


Serve hot and enjoy!


Gosh these were good!!


I had a hard time choosing my favorite out of the three combinations I made. They were all great! I especially liked the boost of flavor that the feta cheese added. But the provolone ones were also delicious...



Easy and healthy twist on a classic!


I bet you could easily make these with squash or eggplant too.



I can't wait to make these again soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment