Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Egg over Roasted Potatoes, Turnips, Onions, and Tomatoes

Why hellooooo! Happy Wednesday to you all. And happy August. WOW! I can't believe August is here. My 30th birthday is later this month (whaaaat?! :)), and this Friday, the 3rd, marks three months 'til our wedding. That's just crazy, I tell ya!!

But for now, let's talk less about me and more about this dish that I made for dinner last week - a fried egg overtop roasted potatoes, turnips, onions, and tomatoes. Delish!


Mike was away on vacation for a little while, so I was on my own for dinner most nights last week. Eggs in some way, shape, or form are one of my favorite, easy dinners when I'm cooking for myself. I had a lot of yummy veggies in the house to eat up, and I tried to think of a way to make them work well with an egg. What I came up with isn't all that creative, but let me tell you, it was delicious!! I simply roasted some potatoes (from our CSA), grape tomatoes (from the store), turnips (from our CSA), and onions (from our CSA) with some olive oil and herbs. Then I fried an egg on the stove (over easy/medium-ish), put the egg over top of my roasted veggies, topped the dish with some shredded cheese, and that was it!!

I've listed the ingredients below but I didn't really list any measurements (sorry!). I had plenty of leftover roasted veggies since I didn't make only one serving's worth. I could have easily fed four people with this meal if I had just cooked four eggs along with these veggies. ;) The "recipe" is very flexible. Feel free to add additional types of veggies or substitute in some of your other favorites. Anything goes!

Ingredients:

-potatoes
-grape or cherry tomatoes
-turnips
-onions
-olive oil
-salt and pepper
-dried herbs de provence (or herbs of your choice)
-egg
-cheese of your choice

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the potatoes, turnips, and onions into roughly the same size pieces (1/2" to 3/4" or so). Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and herbs, and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes on a baking pan or sheet. Take the veggies out of the oven and add the tomatoes to the rest of the veggies (I sliced my grape tomatoes in half before roasting them). Put all the veggies back in the oven and continue roasting for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes and turnips are fork tender and slightly golden brown.

When the veggies are close to done roasting, cook the egg to your liking (I like mine slightly runny, so somewhere in the over easy/medium range). Place a serving of roasted veggies in a dish, top them with the egg, and sprinkle with cheese, if desired. I had a blend of shredded mexican cheeses on hand, so that's what I used.




(I always mess up my eggs when I'm cooking them to go on the blog! This egg doesn't look all that great. Oops.)


But an egg doesn't need to look good to taste good!


All the flavors of this dish worked so well together. I would absolutely make this easy, healthy meal again!


Hope the rest of everyone's week goes well! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment