Thursday, August 30, 2012

Squash (Er, Pumpkin) Yogurt Smoothie


Fall is right around the corner. The past few mornings it's been much cooler when I step out the door to head to work. And you know what? I love it. Of course, it's going to be 90 degrees in Boston this Friday, and that won't feel like fall. But that's okay. I know it's still right around the corner and I couldn't be more excited. Fall is the best!!!! And I also have some big event in my life occurring this fall...so yeah, that makes me pretty excited too. ;)

Last week when I was in the mood for fall to be here, I made this smoothie as a snack after work. It was the perfect fuel for the run that I went on later that evening. I happened to make this smoothie with canned squash. I know; random, right? Well, I happened to have some on hand so I decided to see how the squash might compare to the taste of canned pumpkin. I couldn't even tell the difference!! So from my perspective at least, you could very easy make this smoothie with either squash or pumpkin. Keep that in mind if there happens to be a pumpkin shortage this fall (but I sure hope there's not!!).

Ingredients:

-3/4 cup canned squash or pumpkin
-3/4 cup milk (any flavor or kind)
-1/2 cup vanilla or plain yogurt
-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
-handful of ice

Instructions:

Place all ingredients in a blender, and blend until well combined. Sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon on top, if you'd like. Enjoy!


This smoothie was definitely on the thicker side, so if you like yours thinner, I'd suggest adding closer to 1 cup of milk instead of 3/4 cup, or perhaps decrease the canned squash/pumpkin to 1/2 or 2/3 cup. You can really play around with it until you find the consistency you like. That's the beauty of making smoothies at home like this! I almost never go into the smoothie making process with a recipe...I just make it up as I go!


Kinda funny that I put my smoothie in a Mayflower Brewing glass... Get it? Mayflower, pilgrims, Thanksgiving, fall... You know what I'm talkin' about.


Are you as excited for fall as I am?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment