Thursday, May 30, 2013

Funfetti Sugar Cookies



Hello and happy almost Friday!!

I've got a fun recipe for you today. Pun intended. ;)

Funfetti sugar cookies!

These are some miiiighty fine cookies. My coworkers raved about them. They became obsessed with them. And I'm not joking.

The recipe is from the amazing Sally from Sally's Baking Addiction. I've tried a few of her recipes now, and none have disappointed!!

You'll have to forgive my not-so-great photos. I only quickly snapped a few at work before sharing them with coworkers. If you want to see some really awesome photos, check out Sally's!

Ingredients:

-1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
-3/4 cup sugar
-1 large egg, at room temperature
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. baking soda
-1 tsp. cream of tartar
-1/2 cup sprinkles

Instructions:

With a hand or stand mixer, cream the softened butter for one minute on medium speed. Once it's nice and smooth, add the sugar and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape down sides as needed.

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cream of tartar. With mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three increments. The dough will be thick; at the end, you may have to mix it by hand. Fold in the sprinkles until evenly distributed.

Scoop about two tablespoons of dough at a time, and roll into balls. Make sure the balls are taller, not wide. Add a few more sprinkles to the top of the dough, if desired. Chill the balls of dough on a cookie sheet or plate, for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours. This is very important; don't skip the chilling step!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Bake chilled cookie dough balls for 8 minutes, no more. The cookies will look underdone and quite soft. This is okay, as they will continue cooking slightly while on the warm cookie sheet. Let sit on cookie sheet for 3 minutes before removing to cooling rack to cool completely. Makes about 15 cookies.


I actually doubled the recipe above! I wanted to make sure I had enough for my coworkers. So, I brought about 30 cookies to work. Aaaand, I have fewer than 30 coworkers. And by the end of the day, there were no cookies left. Hmmmm....


 I used two different kinds of sprinkles in my cookies, simply because I didn't have enough of one kind. Use any type of sprinkle your heart desires!


If you make these, you'll want to pay close attention to a few tips that Sally shares on her site. First of all, don't omit the cream of tartar. And secondly, make sure your butter is softened and your egg is at room temp.

As you can see from the photo below, these are some large cookies! They fit nicely into the palm of my hand. And I actually have big hands (I'm not kidding about my hands).



Now, my cookies flattened a bit more than Sally's did (see her photos). I'm not entirely sure why but it could be any number of things really... Perhaps my baking soda or powder are out of date (I should probably go check!), or maybe it would have benefitted me to leave the dough in the fridge a bit longer (I left it in for 30 minutes; when I make these again, I think I'll go for at least an hour). We'll see! Regardless, these cookies were fantastic. Soooo soft, doughy, and delicious. Everyone who tried them loved them!  And I am sure you will too when you try them. ;) This is a sugar cookie recipe that will not disappoint!!


No comments:

Post a Comment