Sunday, June 9, 2013

Cinnamon Chip Oatmeal Cookies



Hello and happy June! I apologize for my blogging hiatus. Last time I was in touch it was May(!!), and I brought you funfetti sugar cookies, just in case you need a reminder. ;) And now, we're 9 days into June...  Wow!

Today I'm sharing a delicious recipe for cinnamon chip oatmeal cookies. This recipe is actually just a variation of a cookie recipe I posted on the blog last July: my oatmeal toffee chocolate chip cookies.

Ingredients:

-1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-1/2 cup loosely packed light brown sugar
-1 large egg
-2 tsp. vanilla extract
-1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
-3/4 cup regular oats
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1 and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
-3/4 to 1 cup cinnamon chips

Instructions:

Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat, and add the butter. Whisking constantly, cook butter about 5 - 6 minutes, until small brown bits appear on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat immediately when this happens, and whisk for about 30 seconds more. Set aside and let cool completely. This cooling completely part is very important!

While the butter is cooling, whisk together the flour, oats, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. In the bowl of an electric mixer (or you can actually do this by hand!), mix the completely cooled butter with both sugars until smooth. Add in the egg and vanilla, mixing again until smooth. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until well-incorporated. Finally, stir in the cinnamon chips. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Drop dough by the tablespoonful onto sheets, placing about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly golden brown in color. Let sit for a couple minutes on the cookie sheets, and then place on cooling racks to cool completely.

Makes 15 to 18 cookies. Store in airtight container, and enjoy within 3 days.



One of the nice things about this cookie recipe is that you can do it all by hand, if you want to! You don't need a mixer. Be careful not to overmix the dough though. Mix until just incorporated; this will help the cookies stay softer.

I will warn you though that these aren't the softest cookies I've ever made. They are a little on the chewy side, and they have an oh-so-slight crunch to them also. So, if you're a fan of cookies that have the best of both the chewy and crunchy texture worlds, then these are for you. ;)


 Also important to note, these cookies are best consumed within 3 days of baking them. Have no fear though; they'll disappear within 3 days. I guarantee it.


By now, you know I am a huge fan of cinnamon. And there's plenty of cinnamon in these little gems! A teaspoon and a half of ground cinnamon, and then 3/4 to 1 cup of cinnamon chips as well. I'll leave the actual amount of cinnamon chips to add up to you. Depends on whether you like your cookies full of chips or a bit more doughy.



Did you notice these photos are a bit better than my usual photos? Well, I borrowed a friend's SLR camera for a bit, and I've been playing around with it for some food shots. I love it! Soooo much better than my little point and shoot digital camera. Someday I'll save up for an SLR camera...someday.


But one thing I do not have to save for is the ingredients to make these cookies. So, in the meantime I'll keep baking, and I hope you keep visiting. :)


Hope everyone's June is off to a good start!!

No comments:

Post a Comment