Thursday, May 23, 2013

Easy No-Bake Coconut Cocoa Cookies


This week is all about bringing you recipes that don't require the oven. The first no-bake recipe I shared this week was on the healthier side...chocolate almond date balls. But this next no-bake recipe, I'm afraid, isn't so healthy. It involves sugar...and quite a bit of it. Oops. :) But everything in moderation, right??

This recipe for easy no-bake cocoa cookies comes from Bran Appetit, a blog that I've enjoyed reading for a while. It's a perfect recipe when you're looking to make a sweet, chocolate-y cookie, but you're not looking to turn on that oven. ;)

I halved the original recipe, and the ingredients I'm sharing below are the half proportions. The original recipe can be found here. And also, I added coconut, which I thought was delicious, but if you're not a coconut fan, feel free to omit it.

Ingredients:

-1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
-1/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
-1 cup sugar
-1 cup quick cooking oats
-1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
-1/2 tsp. vanilla
-pinch of salt
-approx. 2/3 to 3/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Instructions:

Line two cookie sheets with wax or parchment paper. Put butter, milk, and sugar in small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Let the mixture boil for 3 minutes; this is important! Set a timer to be sure it boils for 3 full minutes. After 3 minutes, take the pan off the heat, and stir in the oats, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt. If using, stir in the coconut. Drop mixture by spoonful onto the wax or parchment paper. Let cookies sit until they are set and easily come off the paper. Store in airtight container. Makes about 20 cookies.


My cookies didn't exactly come out uniform in shape or size, but oh well. Looks don't matter when it comes to no-bakes. :)


I shared these with Mike's frisbee team, and everybody loved them! They were almost fudge-like, and I loved the texture from the additions of the oats and coconut.


Served with a nice, cold glass of milk (I mean, how can you have cookies like this without milk??), you've got yourself a delicious, simple dessert. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment