Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream


Chocolate and Oreos. By now you should know that I highly enjoy both of these ingredients (hellooooo, Oreo-stuffed chocolate stout cupcakes!). So when I recently saw this recipe for 4 Ingredient Chocolate Cookies 'n' Cream Ice Cream from Two Peas & Their Pod, I knew I had to make it. Chocolate Cookies 'n' Cream or Chocolate Oreo - whatever you call it, it's gooood. So good.

You may remember that last summer Mike bought me an ice cream maker for my birthday. Thus far though, I have only made two types of ice cream with it, so this summer my goal is to try out several other flavors! And I decided to start with this one first because it just looked so darn good and so simple. Four ingredients! Can't beat it. 

And another awesome aspect of this ice cream? It doesn't call for heavy cream or whole milk, like so many ice cream recipes do. Instead, it uses coconut milk! How cool is that? And certainly coconut milk still has some fat, but it definitely seems better for you than heavy cream...

Ingredients:

-1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
-1/3 cup granulated sugar
-2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
-10 Oreos, crushed (I used Double Stuf)

Instructions:

Combine the coconut milk, sugar, and cocoa powder in a blender, and blend for 20 seconds. Pour this mixture into the bowl of an ice cream maker, and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. During the last 5 minutes of churning, add the crushed Oreos.

Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe plastic container, cover, and freeze until ready to eat.

And by the way, ice cream is really hard to photograph (not that my photos are ever really that great). If you want to see some photos of this recipe that actually look very appetizing, be sure to check out those on Two Peas & Their Pod's site.


Ingredients in the blender...


Blended and poured into the ice cream maker...


Time to add the Oreos!



Mmmm, churning and churning and becoming more delicious by the minute...


Into a plastic container it goes and then into the freezer!




What kind of ice cream scoop do you have? I have this one from Wilton, and I love it.


It is by far my favorite ice cream scoop I've ever had. It doesn't make pretty round scoops of ice cream though, but that's okay. The shape of the ice cream doesn't matter, obviously. Just the taste!


Remember how my family was in town this past weekend (and I made them crock pot steel cut oats)?? Well, we also enjoyed this delicious ice cream together. We all loved it! The coconut milk did add a hint of coconut flavor, so if you're not a huge coconut fan, you may or may not like this. I am not discouraging you from trying it though; I still think you should. ;) And while enjoying this ice cream, you definitely don't miss any heavy cream or fatty milk, I promise!


I already have plans to make this ice cream again this coming weekend. That's how good it is! And I'm pretty sure that if you make it too, you'd completely agree.

So, go make it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment