Friday, June 15, 2012

Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies



These little chocolate thumbprint cookies are just as cute as a button, aren't they?! They were quite easy to make and fun to eat too! I made these cookies last week for Fetch (Mike's frisbee team and the team I played on last year). Sadly, I'm not playing this year due to injuries. However, you can bet that I'll still be baking treats for the team like I did last year! I mean, they pretty much won't allow me to go to a game if I don't have treats in hand... ;)

This recipe is from the Martha Stewart Cookies cookbook.


I've used it before for a few recipes, including one of my favorites, peanut butter swirl brownies and these really fun, yummy surprise cookies.

Martha Stewart strikes again. These thumbprints were another hit from the cookbook!

The cookie part was very shortbread like, but it wasn't too dry or crumbly (which is my fear with shortbread-like cookies). And the center chocolate filling part is simply made by melting butter and chocolate together. I see no problem with that! :)

Ingredients:

-1 cup (2 sticks) plus 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
-1 cup confectioners' sugar
-1/4 tsp. salt
-2 tsp. vanilla extract
-2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (or use chocolate chips)

*Note: the original recipe calls for 2 tsp. of corn syrup to be added to the chocolate filling, but I didn't add it and I'm pretty sure the fact that I didn't add it didn't make a difference...

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together 1 cup of butter, confectioners' sugar, salt, and vanilla on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in flour, beginning on low speed and increasing to medium until combined.

Form balls using 2 teaspoons of dough for each. Place balls 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes, remove from oven, and press thumb into cookies to make deep, wide indentations (be careful though; the cookies are hot!!). Rotate pan, and return to oven. Bake until light brown on the edges, another 7 to 9 minutes more. If the indentations begin to lose their definition while baking, you can remove the cookies from the oven and press them again. Once fully baked, transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

Combine the chocolate and remaining 6 Tbsp. of butter, and melt, either using a double boiler method or in the microwave, being careful not to burn the chocolate. When everything is melted and smooth, allow the chocolate mixture to cool slightly until thickened. Using a small spoon, fill the thumbprints with the chocolate mixture, and set aside to firm up. Cookies can be stored in single layers in airtight containers at room temperature for 3 days. 

After filling the cookies with chocolate, I actually stored them in the fridge overnight. Oh, and I tried one of these very soon after they were made and then again the next day, after they'd been refrigerated overnight. I thought they were much better the next day!







Really, this plate should say "easier" than pie, not easy as pie. These cookies were totally easier to make than pie, in my opinion. ;)



In just a few of the cookies, I put an M&M for a touch of color!


So cute! Love these little guys.

Happy Friday to you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment