Friday, January 18, 2013

Peanut Butter Nutella Pinwheel Cookies


I love easy recipes. Although I don't yet have children, my schedule seems to manage to always fill up quickly (and I know that will happen even more so with kids!), so I'm always happy to see a quick, simple recipe that doesn't require many ingredients. Then, along comes a fabulous looking recipe from Cookies & Cups for Biscoff Crescent Roll Cookies (go check out her blog post about 'em!), and I'm smitten. The recipe calls for four ingredients, friend...four!! Awesome.

When I saw this recipe last week, I think I went and bought crescent rolls that same day because I knew I had to make these little gems. I got around to making them this week, and they could not have been easier. The recipe does involve chilling the "dough" (it's not really dough though - it's crescent rolls with deliciousness inside), which is an added step, but an easy one, of course. So one evening I made the "dough" and the next evening, I baked the cookies! I think you might be thinking what I'm thinking??! Yep. This recipe could not get any easier. ;)



As I always do, I changed the recipe a bit. So, I have to confess that my version actually calls for five ingredients! :(  I didn't have biscoff spread, but I did have good ol' peanut butter and an amazing homemade chocolate hazelnut spread (which I'm calling "nutella" for the purposes of this blog post) that a coworker gave me for Christmas. I thought these two ingredients would go together very nicely, so I combined the two to use for these cookies.

Ingredients:

-1 8-oz. can crescent rolls (I used Pillsbury reduced fat)
-3/4 cup mixture of peanut butter and "nutella" (I added about 3/8 cup of each)
-3/4 cup powdered sugar
-2 to 3 Tbsp. milk

Instructions:

Unroll the crescent dough onto a cutting board, your counter (lined with parchment or wax paper), or whatever surface you choose. Pinch the dough together slightly at the seams. Spread the peanut butter/nutella mixture over top of the dough, spreading it almost to the edges. Roll the dough, from the short side of the rectangle, up tightly. Wrap it in saran wrap, and chill the dough in the fridge for at least one hour (I chilled mine overnight, and it worked great).

Preheat oven to 350. Remove dough from fridge and using a sharp knife so you don't press down too much on the roll, cut the dough into 1/4" slices. Lay the slices flat on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until the dough turns a light golden brown (the original recipe says 12 to 15 minutes, but mine took closer to 10 to 12, so just keep an eye on them). Let cool slightly on baking sheet and remove to cool completely on cooling rack. Make the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle or spread the glaze overtop of each cookie. Let the glaze set.

Then devour your cookies. :)











Now, of course, you can use the Biscoff spread like in the original recipe if you'd like to. Or, you could just use peanut butter only or nutella only. Or, use any other spread that you choose! Ooooh, maybe do a peanut butter and jelly mixture? That would be fun. There are definitely many possibilities for fillings with this recipe!



I brought these cookies in to share with my coworkers, and this is what happened...




Then, there were none.

The flavor combo of the peanut butter and chocolate hazelnut spread was really great in these cookies! And the crescent dough was perfectly light and airy. I loved these cookies with the glaze, but they'd probably be very tasty without it too! 

In case you missed it earlier this week, you should check out the first post of my new series, Wedding Wednesdays! Each week (or maybe every other week), I hope to share some fun details about different aspects of our wedding!! This week I shared the steps that went into our homebrewed beer that we gave as favors to our guests. :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment