Monday, January 28, 2013

Easy Appetizer: Bacon Wrapped Potato Bites


Mike and I hosted a fun beer tasting event with some friends at our place this past weekend, so we prepared a number of snacks and appetizers for our guests. Among the appetizers were these fabulous little bacon wrapped potatoes. These were some of the easiest savory bites to make! The recipe is from Martha Stewart, and I am absolutely certain that these will be making many more appearances in our lives over the years...

The Martha Stewart recipe calls for using actual baby potatoes and not slicing them. However, I just bought potatoes of any size and cut them up into smaller, bite-sized pieces that were about 3/4 to 1-inch "cubes" (they were actually not exact cubes, but you get what I'm saying!). Also, I left the skins on, but you could easily peel the potatoes if you don't love the skins. The recipe did not say to soak the toothpicks in water before baking them, but it just felt odd to me to put toothpicks in the oven, so I soaked mine in water for 30 minutes ahead of time. I'm not sure if that's really necessary, but it can't hurt, right?! I also greased my baking dish even though the recipe didn't say to. I didn't want to risk bacon getting stuck to the pan! Oh, and one more thing; I made approximately 24 bites using the proportions below. Obviously you can just cut fewer or more potatoes and bacon slices, depending on how many you want to make!

Ingredients:

-5 or 6 small potatoes, any kind
-12 slices of bacon

Instructions:

Soak 24 toothpicks in a small bowl or mug of water for 30 minutes or so. Grease a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut your potatoes into bite-sized pieces (about 3/4 to 1-inch) until you have 24 pieces. Slice each piece of bacon in half. Wrap each half slice of bacon around a potato piece, securing it with a toothpick. Place all the bites in greased baking dish, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender (when pierced with a fork or knife) and bacon is fully cooked and crisp.


I made some with red potatoes and some with blue potatoes, which we can find at Whole Foods. Mike and I buy them on a regular basis. I mean, it's just so fun to eat a blue potato! Although, some may call them purple. Either way, it's a colorful spud. :)


As I mentioned above, you can easily use any type of potato for this recipe. I really want to try it with sweet potatoes! And if bacon isn't your thing, you could use turkey bacon or even veggie bacon, I bet.


In the midst of being so busy in the kitchen as I was preparing various foods for our guests, I neglected to take many pictures of the final product. Luckily, I did get a couple pics though!


These tasty little bites were gobbled right up. This platter was empty in no time!


These would be a wonderful addition to a Superbowl Sunday appetizer spread this coming weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment