Sunday, July 17, 2011

Chocolate Chip Graham Cracker Blondies


Chocolate chip graham cracker blondies. I made 'em on a super hot, 90-degree day. Was I sweating by the end of my time in the kitchen? Yes. Were these blondies totally worth it? Absolutely. I needed a super quick dessert recipe since I was short on time (which is a rather common occurrence for me these days). I knew bars would be the way to go instead of cookies, and when I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen, I immediately knew these were "the one." :)


I adapted the recipe slightly, and my exact ingredients are listed below. As you can read on the Smitten Kitchen website, these blondies have been deemed "infinitely adaptable." I love a recipe like that! Be creative with the ingredients you add. The possibilities are endless!

Of note, I doubled the original recipe. So, the proportions below are for a 13 x 9 pan. You can easily halve this for an 8 x 8 pan (and those proportions are on Smitten Kitchen).

Ingredients:

-2 sticks (16 Tbsp.) butter, melted
-2 cups brown sugar (I used light brown sugar)
-2 large eggs
-2 tsp. vanilla
-pinch salt
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1/2 tsp. baking powder (this is not in the original recipe and you would be fine without it)
-1 cup chocolate chips (I used a combination of milk and semi-sweet)
-approx. 2/3 to 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (I crushed my own; they were coarsely crushed)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 13 x 9 pan. Mix the melted butter with brown sugar, and beat until smooth. Beat in eggs and then vanilla. Add the salt, and stir in the flour and baking powder. Mix in your additions (chocolate chips and graham cracker crumbs). Pour into your prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the middle is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting.


I slightly under-cooked my blondies, causing them to have an ooey, gooey center. I'd highly recommend you do the same. :) I brought these to a frisbee game to share with my teammates, who gobbled them right up! Are you looking to please a crowd? These blondies may be just what you need.




Yum, yum, yum!!!

14 comments:

  1. Absolute perfection!
    Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How have I lived my whole life without these delicious bars? I love graham cracker anything and these sound super addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I jut want to take a big bite out of those! Yum :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look wonderful! I love the addition of graham crackers... they make a great surprise in these bars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made these and they turned out great! I added a cup of mini marshmallows for a s'more type bar YUM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea with the addition of the marshmallows! Glad you enjoyed them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone else! These are yummy and easy to make. What's more, if you love chocolate chips and graham crackers, you will go nuts over these! I made them and they didn't last long in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you enjoyed them, Sophia! They disappear quickly, don't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just added mini marshmallows too! Waiting for them to come out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made the same recipe and they turned out waaay too sweet, so if you don't like majorly sweet things i would suggest adding a bit less brow sugar :) just a tip

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh dear, *brown sugar..not 'brow sugar'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry they were too sweet for you, B.N.! Others hadn't mentioned that, but maybe the others who've had them don't mind extra sweetness :) Good tip to lessen the brown sugar though. Hope you'll try them again!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very good...thank you for the easy and delicious recipe:)

    ReplyDelete