Friday, September 21, 2012

Putting Things in Perspective: Being Thankful

Earlier this week my wallet was stolen....right from my desk drawer in my office where I work. Needless to say, it was a very upsetting experience for me. I've never had anything stolen from me, and to have my wallet with so many essentials (e.g., credit cards, driver's license, debit card, etc.) taken from me really threw me for a loop. After spending the past couple days trying to get my life back in order by calling credit card companies, getting a new license, and the 1,000 other things that come with the recovery process after your wallet is stolen, I have finally calmed down a bit and am able to put the situation into perspective. I was going to share a recipe with you today, but since my week has been bogged down by the wallet situation, I thought, why not write about it? Although this is a food blog, I do reserve the right to go off on a non-food tangent if I want to. ;)

Am I still angry about my wallet being stolen? Yes. But I'll get over it. Although with my anger though, I'm also feeling very thankful at the same time. I'm thankful that the thief did not also take my digital camera, my iPod, my cell phone, or my keys, which were also all near my wallet in my desk. I'm thankful that I wasn't hurt. I'm thankful that no items of my coworkers were stolen, nor were they hurt. My stolen wallet is basically just a huuuge hassle. It's not a disaster or a tragedy, and for that I need to be thankful.


In the grand scheme of things, this situation certainly is not the end of the world (although at the moment I realized my wallet was gone I felt like it was). As the day went on and I took the necessary steps to move on, I became more reflective. I tend to be a fairly optimistic person, and I also am very aware that I have many blessings in my life. However, sometimes when life gets so busy and fast-paced, we lose sight of those blessings. So I thought I'd turn this unfortunate situation into a positive one and take this opportunity to mention some of the things for which I am thankful.

-my good health
-my amazing family
-my wonderful friends
-my fabulous fiance (only 43 days to go!)
-a roof over my head
-good food to eat
-the ability to exercise
-a stable job that I enjoy
-living in beautiful New England


This is definitely not a comprehensive list though, friends! The list really goes on and on and on... But this stolen wallet situation is such a good reminder to reflect and be thankful for the many positives in my life.


I'm also thankful to have this avenue of my blog to share great recipes and stories with you. I appreciate how many of you visit my blog and read my posts. I know that my posts aren't that fancy and my pictures aren't that awesome, but many of you still read my blog, and I really, truly appreciate that. I'm very grateful that I have a love for cooking and baking and the skills to create yummy dishes to share with family and friends.
I'll be back next week with some recipes, but for now, I invite you to join me and be thankful for the various blessings you have in your life...

Have a great weekend, blog friends. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment