Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ooey Gooey Cinnamon Buns

Yummmm...check out the ooey gooey goodness in the picture above. Love it! I made these cinnamon buns on a whim tonight since I wasn't planning to bake anything in addition to the chocolate chip cookies. So here's how I came to make them... After work I had to run a few errands, and during my travels, I was right near a Bertuccis, one of my absolute favorite restaurants. Sometimes I buy raw pizza dough from Bertuccis to make homemade pizza or homemade rolls. I haven't actually made cinnamon buns with the dough before, although my good friend Elizabeth did once when she used to work with us... I have a very vivid memory of that day! They were soooo good. Anyway, I ended up going into Bertuccis today for two random reasons. At the time, I really had to use the bathroom so that was one excuse for going in. And I was also pretty hungry as I was running my errands, so I thought maybe I'll buy dough in order to get a couple rolls! In the past when I've purchased the raw dough they often throw in a few baked rolls, which are super yummy. I wanted a roll as a snack today so I had to buy the dough! Haha. Until I got home though, I didn't really have a plan for the dough. I didn't have pizza ingredients on hand, and that's when I remembered my friend Elizabeth's cinnamon buns that time...so I thought I'd give them a shot! Here's what I did (sans any formal recipe!). Oh, and if you don't live near a Bertuccis, my guess is this would also work with any store bought brand of pizza dough or white bread dough. Read on for the steps to make these, and then you'll see the pictures of the entire process. :)
First I worked the dough with my hands to spread it a bit, and then I rolled it out more with my handy dandy Pampered Chef rolling pin. Next I spread some margarine on the dough. I thought about melting the margarine first but figured it would just melt when the buns were baked anyway! Then I made a mixture of three ingredients with these approximate measurements:
-3 tbsp. white sugar
-3 or 4 tbsp. brown sugar
-1 to 1.5 tsp. cinnamon
Then I evenly sprinkled this mixture over the margarine, and I also sprinkled a bit more cinnamon on after that. Next, I carefully rolled the dough along one of the longer edges (jelly roll style), trying to keep the dough tight as I rolled it. After it was rolled into a "log," I stretched it a bit more so that it was longer so that I could maximize the number of cinnamon buns it would make. Then I took a sharp knife and cut it into slices, with each being about 1 to 1.5 inches wide. I placed them into a greased 3-quart casserole dish and then baked at 375 degrees for about 23 - 25 minutes or so, until the tops were ever so lightly browned. I let the rolls cool before topping them with icing, which included these four ingredients (again, with approximate measurements):
-3/4 to 1 cup powdered sugar
-2 tbsp. skim milk
-1/2 to 3/4 tsp. vanilla
-a couple dashes of cinnamon
Voila! That is all. I'm going to bring them into work tomorrow to share with my coworkers. I am guessing they are best served warm, so we'll have to zap them in the microwave for a few seconds before consuming.... Can't wait for the ooey gooey delicious goodness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment