Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

This fall I have become obsessed with sweet potatoes... Now, don't get me wrong, this is not a new obsession; I've always loved them, but I got into the habit this fall (and now this winter) of roasting them at least a couple times a week! They're such an easy, delicious, and healthy veggie to add to a meal.
Since I am so used to blogging about the desserts I bake, it didn't really occur to me right away that I could really blog about anything I bake, dessert or not! I only took a couple pictures tonight as I roasted some sweet potatoes...a routine that has become rather regular for me. Sweet potatoes can be a pain to cut up, but I've gotten pretty used to it and it doesn't bother me too much.
Here is a picture of the potatoes I made tonight, just before I put them in the oven.
I like to experiment with how I season the potatoes and in which form I bake them as well... For instance, sometimes I bake the sweet potatoes whole (with some holes poked in them, of course!). Other times I may cut them up into smaller cubes (maybe 1/2 to 1 inch in size), and I've also made sweet potato fries too. Some of my favorite seasonings include garlic, chili powder, and rosemary. The possibilities are endless really! ;-) Tonight I baked them in what I think is the simplest way...cut into the smaller cubes, drizzled with some EVOO (extra virgin olive oil, of course!), and sprinkled with chili powder and garlic powder. Every now and then I just make sweet potatoes as my meal! I've also taken a liking to adding roasted SP's :) as another yummy veggie on my salads.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I generally bake them anywhere between 400 and 450 degrees...and for the whole potatoes, depending on the size, they may take 45 - 60 minutes. The smaller pieces usually take 20 - 25 minutes until they're just the right texture. Deeeelish and healthful! Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

  1. We be making your sweet potatoes maybe today!! They should sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eating some, roasted and seasoned w/ garlic powder and chili powder, as I type this - thanks for the idea!! yummm I think I'm going to try this the next time I make them:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/maple_roasted_sweet_potatoes.html

    ReplyDelete