Friday, April 12, 2013

Tuna, Avocado, Bacon, & Tomato Open-Faced Sandwich Melts


TGIF! ;)

In honor of one of the best days of the week (I mean, who doesn't love Fridays?!), I'm bringing you one of the easiest and best dinners I've put together lately - tuna, avocado, bacon, and tomato melts. Yeehaw! These are so easy and yummy. :)

Thankfully, the timing of the avocado I bought and the night I wanted to make these melts worked out well. I still haven't quite figured out buying and subsequently using avocados...sometimes I want to use them sooner than they're ready or vice versa. But anyway, it worked out perfectly this time around. Essentially, all I did with these melts was, on an English muffin, layer smashed avocado and canned tuna, then some tomato slices and a couple of slices of cooked bacon. Next came some sprinkles of cheese (of course), and then I toasted them in the toaster oven! So simple.

The ingredients below make two open-faced sandwich melts, enough for a nice lunch or a light dinner for you and someone else!

Ingredients:

-4 slices bacon
-2 English muffins
-1 medium avocado, pitted and peeled
-1 5-oz. can of tuna fish, drained
-1 to 2 plum tomatoes
-cheese (any kind!)
-salt and pepper

Instructions:

Cook four slices of bacon, on the stove or in the oven. Soak grease from bacon as much as possible using paper towels, and set bacon aside to cool. 

Drain the can of tuna. In a medium bowl, mix together the can of tuna and avocado, mashing the avocado and mixing the ingredients together with a fork or spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Cut the English muffins in half. On each half, spread the avocado and tuna mixture until it is used up among the four muffin halves (if you have a little left over, eat it with a spoon; it's delicious!). Slice your tomato(es) until you have enough slices to cover the four muffin halves. Put down the tomato slices, followed by two half slices of bacon per muffin half. Top with cheese of your choice; you could use a slice of your favorite cheese, your favorite shredded cheese, goat cheese, etc. Place sandwich halves in toaster oven, and toast until cheese is bubbly and melted and the English muffins are toasted to your liking. Serve with a side of veggies or a side salad, if desired. Enjoy!!



I had a small spoonful of just the tuna and avocado mixture. Oh man! So good. I think I could just eat that for a meal! In fact, I'm sure it would make an excellent twist on a regular tunafish sandwich. Much like the avocado egg salad sandwich I posted a couple weeks ago, a tuna avocado sandwich would be delicious, I bet!



I will say that I probably could have added more cheese to mine, to really make it a melt. When I picture a sandwich melt, I picture more ooey, gooey melted cheese than what I had on mine. So feel free to "go crazy" with the cheese if that's what you like!


Also, after I originally cooked the bacon, it was already pretty crispy. Then when I put the sandwiches in the toaster oven, I think the bacon crisped up a bit more; hence, the semi-burnt edges you see in the pictures. I like my bacon crispy though, so it was okay with me!


I'm definitely going to keep this in our rotation of weeknight dinners. It's so simple, mostly healthy, and delicious. The most lengthy step of the recipe is cooking the bacon; everything else really comes together in about 5 minutes!

And if English muffins aren't your thing, these open-faced melts could easily be made with regular bread, pita bread, etc.


This sandwich could easily be made meatless by omitting the bacon. And you know what addition would make it eggcellent, I bet? A fried egg! Boy, does that sound good...kinda like a few months ago when the hubs and I made grilled cheese sandwiches with bacon, egg, and tomato.


I already can't wait to make these again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment