Sunday, March 31, 2013

Avocado Egg Salad


Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!

If you colored Easter eggs this year, there's a chance you have some leftover eggs. Don't throw them out! Instead, try this awesome recipe for avocado egg salad. I made this last week, and Mike and I each enjoyed a couple sandwiches with the recipe. Soooo good! The avocado takes the place of the traditional mayonnaise used in the recipe, and it's a terrific substitution. I don't know if I'll ever go back to traditional egg salad. This avocado version is far better (in my opinion :)).

I semi-followed a recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod for our avocado egg salad. The ingredients I used are below, but be sure to check out the original recipe as well. There are a few different versions of this floating around the web, but I loosely followed Two Peas and Their Pod's version.

Ingredients:

-4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
-1 medium avocado, pitted and peeled
-2 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
-2 tsp. mustard (regular, not dried)
-2 to 3 tsp. fresh lemon juice
-2 celery stalks, finely chopped
-salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, avocado, yogurt, mustard and lemon juice. Mash with a fork and mix until well-combined. Mix in the chopped celery and then the salt and pepper to taste. Serve on bread as a sandwich or eat with crackers, pita bread, etc. This salad is best served the day it is made, but it will last in the fridge for a few days (it might just turn slightly brown).



And of course, when you're making this, feel free to adjust the ingredients according to your tastes. It's a pretty flexible recipe!

I could have eaten this avocado egg salad with a spoon! It was so good. And thanks to the lemon juice, it really doesn't turn too brown if you don't eat it up right away. But, it won't stay that nice, fresh green color either.



Instead of eating it by the spoonful, I ate it like a normal person on a sandwich. ;)


 I've never been a big mayo person at all, so coming across this idea for egg salad was pretty awesome.


If you like egg salad and avocado, you have to try this version! Seriously!

You have to. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment