Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dark Chocolate Marbled Peanut Butter Banana Bread



Hello friends! As I mentioned earlier in the week, I'd have a delicious banana bread recipe to share with you. Well, here it is! I had planned on posting it yesterday but I ended up being way busier than I thought and never found the time to write. That's been happening to me a lot lately!

I made this bread toward the end of last week to bring to NY for my family's road trip out to my cousin's wedding over the weekend. It was the perfect treat for the road! Everyone loved it.

This recipe was a combination of two of my previous banana bread recipes - marbled chocolate banana bread and peanut butter banana bread. I was pretty sure I couldn't go wrong by combining chocolate, banana, AND peanut butter.


Now, both of these original recipes were from Cooking Light, so this new, combined recipe is also kinda sorta from Cooking Light... So, it's a recipe that you can feel less guilty about. You're welcome. ;)

Ingredients:

-2 cups all-purpose flour
-3/4 tsp. baking soda
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1 and 1/2 cups mashed, ripe banana (about 3 medium to large bananas)
-1/3 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
-1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
-3 Tbsp. melted butter, cooled
-2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/2 cup light brown sugar
-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the banana, yogurt, peanut butter, cooled melted butter, and eggs. Mix well until combined. Add both sugars, and continue to mix well. Next, add the flour mixture a little bit at a time and beat on low speed until just moist and combined.

Place the chocolate chips in a medium-sized microwave safe bowl, and microwave on high in 30-second increments, stirring after each time. Continue until the chips are completely melted and smooth; cool slightly. Add 1 cup of the banana bread batter to the melted chocolate, and stir until well combined.

Coat a 9 x 5 inch (or 8.5 x 4.5) loaf pan with cooking spray. Swirl the plain batter and chocolate batter together with a knife in the pan (see the stages of this process below). Bake at 350 for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from pan to cool completely on a cooling rack.


Mmmm, dark chocolate. Good for you!


Here's what the process of mixing together the melted chocolate and 1 cup of batter looks like.


There you go! Chocolate banana bread batter.

And below is the process I used to swirl the batters within the loaf pan before baking. I first put in about 1/3 of the plain batter, followed by 1/2 of the chocolate batter. Then another 1/3 of the plain batter, the second 1/2 of the chocolate, and finally, the remaining 1/3 of the plain. After one layer of both the plain and chocolate was added, I'd swirl the batters together with a knife.




Doesn't it look so fun?! Swirly whirly goodness.



This bread is SO moist.




One of my favorite characteristics of this bread (other than its moistness and awesome flavor) is how each slice looks different!


The top right one looks like it's smiling. :)


You will love this bread. I promise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment