Monday, March 1, 2010

Oven Roasted Cauliflower

Greetings, friends... I realized that many of my recent posts have been about breakfast foods. How did that happen? Not sure! You might be asking, "where are the desserts?" I thought that's what the Barbershop was all about! Well, I am sorry to disappoint, but they're not in this post. I don't know anyone who would consider roasted cauliflower a dessert...not even close. :)
On our trip to the Dominican a couple weeks ago, I re-discovered my enjoyment for the vegetable cauliflower. I am guessing that it's not exactly one of the most popular veggies out there, but hey, someone's gotta like it! It does have some great health benefits...check them out here. Some of the highlights are its Vitamin C, folate, fiber, and low-calorie qualities. Gooo cauliflower!!
Okay, I'm a dork. I know. On to the recipe I go! This was really a super simple recipe, and now that I think about it, it's very close to my favorite roasted sweet potatoes recipe. After washing and patting dry the cauliflower florets, I simply put them in a glass baking dish, drizzled them with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil :)), and then sprinkled with some of my favorite herbs! This time around I used thyme, garlic powder, and basil. That is all! I baked them in a 425 degree oven for roughly 23 or 25 minutes, moving the florets around once in the pan half-way through that time. I was a good girl and ate these without any other additions, but I was thinking that a bit of parmesan cheese would be a tasty ingredient to try too! As for the herbs, the possibilities are endless...try whatever your favorites are! I was inspired by this particular recipe from Cooking Light, although I didn't follow it exactly. Below is a picture of some roasted cauliflower, among many other tasty veggies, on a salad I made for myself. Mmmmm...
Now, if you do happen to be one of those lucky few who does enjoy cauliflower, here are a few other tasty recipes that look tempting too....
-Mashed Cauliflower (a nice, low-carb alternative to mashed taters!)
-Cauliflower Soup (sound delicious to me!)
-Creamed Cauliflower (it's a Cooking Light recipe!)
I'll let you know if I try any of them! Oh, and one of these days I'll blog about a tasty dessert. I promise! Apparently the Barbershop is on a breakfast and/or veggie kick lately. ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to stop by to say what a great blog you're writing. Each post is so interesting and I can just tell how much you love to write and to bake, which I understand perfectly well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It means a lot to me to hear that!! :) I continue to really enjoy your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE roasted cauliflower!! I discovered this two years ago and make it at least once a week in the winter. I like to put garlic and tumeric on mine in addition to olive oil. The tumeric adds an interesting flavor and turns the cauliflower a bright yellow color.

    ReplyDelete