Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pumpkin Biscuits


Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. It's very fall-like in Boston with cooler temps and leaves falling to the ground. Love it... :)

I've been on quite the pumpkin kick lately (no huge surprise there!). This weekend I made pumpkin pancakes, and last week I made both pumpkin mac n' cheese and these pumpkin biscuits. Both were delicious!! These biscuits could easily serve as a biscuit that goes with dinner (which these did for us) OR they could be a breakfast biscuit too since they're actually on the sweeter side.

I found this recipe from a blog I love, Sugarcrafter. You really should go check out her blog! She posts some amazing recipes. I've written the recipe for you here too though for ease of reference. A couple points of note... This recipe was very simple. It took no time at all to put together the biscuit dough, and they don't take much time in the oven either. Gotta love a super simple homemade recipe that you can quickly get on the table for a weeknight dinner! Also, the recipe calls for 2 cups of all-purpose flour. I ended up using 1 cup of all-purpose and 1 cup of white whole wheat flour from King Arthur Flour.

Ingredients:

-2 cups all-purpose flour (or half AP & half whole wheat)
-1 Tbsp. baking powder
-3/4 tsp. salt
-2 Tbsp. brown sugar
-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
-1/4 tsp. nutmeg
-2 Tbsp. butter
-3/4 cup pumpkin puree
-1/2 cup milk (I used 1%)
-2 Tbsp. maple syrup

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and spices. Blend in the butter using a pastry blender (I just used a fork). In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, milk, and maple syrup.

Combine the wet and dry ingredients, and stir until the mixture holds together. Knead lightly on a floured surface and roll out to 1" thickness. Using a biscuit cutter (2" or whatever size you have), cut the dough into circles. Be sure to use all the dough by rolling together all the scraps (if you have to make a slightly smaller or mis-shapen biscuit to use the scraps, no big deal; I made a super small one so I could taste test the biscuit and make sure they passed the test to share with others!).

Place on parchment paper and bake for 12 - 14 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Serve warm, if desired. The recipe makes approximately six biscuits.



I used a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter as my biscuit cutter!




Served with my pumpkin mac n' cheese and some sauteed swiss chard and cabbage on the side.



Yum yum! Now if you make this recipe and still have some canned pumpkin leftover, be sure to check out my previous post about ideas for using up that extra pumpkin!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you shaped these biscuits into pumpkins! so adorable. And I also love that all the pumpkin pie seasonings are buried in them...so it's like biting into a buttery biscuity slice!

    Also, just read your race recap and you really rocked it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! these are so impressive! They would be perfect with so many meals!

    ReplyDelete