Monday, January 17, 2011

Oatmeal Craisin Cinnamon Chip Cookies


Hello! Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day! I've been meaning to blog all weekend but am only getting to it now... I've been a busy gal! I have several recipes I've been wanting to share with you, including a couple yummy dinner ideas, but since it's been a few posts since I've shared a dessert recipe with you, I decided on a sweet treat for this post...oatmeal craisin cinnamon chip cookies! They're a mouthful to say and a delicious mouthful to eat (that was really corny, I know ;-)).

This was the first recipe I tried from a new cookbook I received for Christmas - Bon Appetit Desserts. It's a cookbook FILLED (like 600+ pages worth) of delicious, tried and true dessert recipes from Bon Appetit magazine. Yummm! This particular recipe was actually for just oatmeal raisin cookies, but I changed up the recipe a bit to make them oatmeal craisin cinnamon chip (of course I did!).

Here are your ingredients:

-1 cup all-purpose flour (you could probably use whole wheat flour if you wanted, or half of each)
-1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. baking soda
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1 cup packed brown sugar (I used light not dark)
-1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature (I did use real butter - not margarine)
-1 large egg (I brought my egg to room temp before adding it, like the butter)
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-1 and 2/3 cups old-fashioned oats
-1 cup raisins

So, that is the original recipe from the book. Here are my small changes to the "add-ins."
-1 cup oats
-3/4 cup craisins
-3/4 cup cinnamon chips


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or, you could grease them; I chose to use parchment). Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat brown sugar and butter in large bowl until very well blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. Mix in the flour mixture, then stir in oats and raisins (or your choice of add-ins).




Now, this dough was a bit sticky after all the ingredients had been added. So what did I do? I popped the dough in the freezer for about 10 minutes! It worked like a charm; the dough was less sticky and much easier to drop by spoonfuls onto the sheet!



(here they are, mid-way through baking!)

Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets, spacing 2 inches apart (this is important as these cookies spread more than some cookies!). Bake until golden brown, approximately 14 minutes (I'd say check them after 11 or 12 minutes though). Transfer cookies to cooling rack and cool completely.


For me, this recipe made about 28 cookies, although the recipe says the yield is 2 dozen. 


What I really liked about this cookie was that it had a slight crunch to it, but ultimately it was a very chewy and soft cookie - the perfect combo of textures! And the flavor combination of oats, craisins, and cinnamon chips was just perfect too. Love this cookie! Ya gotta make it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment