Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fish Tacos with Mango-Peach Salsa


Why hello! As I have been saying often lately, "long time" no see. I still haven't been blogging as often as I'd like since school has ended. I don't know where the time goes! Anyway, let's just get right to it here, shall we? Although the recipe I'm about to share does include baking, it's not in the typical Barbershop baking realm that most of my posts are. I am sharing a dinner recipe for a change! No breakfast or dessert for you here. ;-)

I made these fish tacos for my boyfriend Mike's birthday a couple weeks ago. They were deeelicious, and I would definitely make them again! It was such a simple, tasty, and healthy meal...the best combination, if you ask me. :)

I was inspired by a recipe in my latest Cooking Light magazine issue. I looove Cooking Light! I found the same recipe online here. The fish recipe I semi-followed, but I didn't really follow the mango salsa verde recipe that's provided on that link. As for the tacos, I used cod instead of tilapia (any white, flaky fish would probably do just fine!). To prepare the fish, I simply brushed the fillets with some olive oil, and then sprinkled on some seasoning; I used the Great King Salmon seasoning and rub you see in the picture below. Yum!


Choose whatever spices you'd like for your fish! I'm sure anything goes really. I also squeezed some fresh lemon juice overtop of the fillets, but that was it! Easy easy. I broiled the fillets for maybe 8 minutes or so? I'm not really sure actually...sorry! I broiled them until the fish meat flaked pretty easily with a fork. I love that fish doesn't take too long to cook. It makes it an easy go-to weeknight meal!

Here are the fillets, before they are broiled.


And here they are after they're cooked!


Once the fillets were cooked, I just used a fork to create smaller pieces of fish to put into the tortillas. I bought whole wheat tortillas, and I heated each one briefly in a pan on the stove. I'd highly recommend doing that! Eating the tortillas warm really makes the dish yummier, I think.

Now I must share the salsa part! This salsa was very fun to make, and I just love how colorful it is too. Check it out!


I didn't follow an exact recipe to make this, but I'll share approximate measurements with you here:

-1/2 grilled peach, chopped
-1/2 grilled mango, chopped
-1 plum tomato, deseeded and chopped
-1/3 cucumber, chopped
-1/3 red onion, finely chopped (so maybe 3 Tbsp or so?)
-2 or 3 tsp. fresh chives, chopped
-3 or 4 tsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
-1 or 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
-1/4 tsp. black pepper
-1/4 tsp. chili powder

You'll noticed that I said grilled peach and mango. I thought I'd try grilling the fruit before adding it. I'm not sure if it added a different flavor really, but it was something fun to try anyway! I originally wasn't going to add cucumber, but I wasn't sure if I was going to have enough salsa overall for the two of us (as it turns out, it was plenty), so I added some chopped cucumber to make it a little more substantial. I would say that the red onion and fresh cilantro are must-haves in a fruit salsa like this! All in all, it was a wonderful combo of ingredients that really complimented the fish well. Here are a few pics of the steps along the way as I was making the salsa. :)






Now I bet you're wondering what we drank with our fish tacos and mango-peach salsa...  I thought so! The weekend before Mike's birthday we were down in Westport, MA for a wedding, and we stopped at the Just Beer brewery there for a tasting. We bought a growler of their Golden Flounder beer, which is an excellent wheat, summery beer. I was in looooove with this beer, people! It was very refreshing, citrusy, and drinkable...mmmmm. It paired very nicely with our dinner too!



To round out the meal, I prepared a very simple side salad with just greens, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Here is another shot of our dinner.


I forgot to take a picture of dessert, but a while back I had frozen some mini bundt cakes that were the same double chocolate cake recipe I had used to make cupcakes for Jenn's bridal shower last month. They froze quite well! I also bought some really yummy Edy's "vanilla sandwich" ice cream. Soooo good. I'd highly recommend trying this flavor, if you haven't yet. It's a very tasty treat!

I know this is a little late now, but a very special happy birthday to Mike!!! :)

I hope to return to the Barbershop again soon for another recipe... I have several waiting in the line-up right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment