Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Barefoot Contessa's Addictive Blueberry Muffins


WARNING! You are about to read a blog post about some of the best tasting blueberry muffins out there!!

Okay, you've been warned.

Now you can read on. :)

I made these muffins last week for our weekly lab meeting at work. I think I've mentioned this meeting before... We all take turns each week bringing in breakfast, and typically, people bring in bagels (which are always a fun treat!). But I always like to take my turn as an opportunity to bake something yummy to share! This time around for lab meeting, I made these blueberry muffins and a beer cheese bread (blog post is planned soon about that one too!).


Blueberries!!!!

I used a recipe from Ina Garten, the Food Network's Barefoot Contessa. I have made a few of her recipes now, and I have to say, she hasn't let me down yet! Her recipes have all been delicious, and this one for blueberry muffins is no exception! You can check out her recipe for them here. She calls them "Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins." The only thing I did differently was add yogurt in place of the sour cream since I did not have sour cream on hand. You can read about other possible sour cream substitutes here if you'd like. I tend to prefer the taste of yogurt to sour cream anyway, so I almost always use yogurt when I bake instead of sour cream! I did use real butter, as the recipe calls for; that may have made them exceptionally yummy too... Sometimes I opt for margarine in lieu of butter, but I went for the real thing this time! Oh right, and I also added a bit of fresh lemon juice - maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons or so? The original recipe doesn't call for lemon juice.


Mmmmm, here's the batter. 


And here is a platter of the tasty muffins, ready for my coworkers to consume!

And below are some pictures of a muffin I ate... Or, was it hoops and yoyo who ate it?!? I may have given them a nibble or two. ;-)




Super sad - it's all gone! :-(

I can't quite put my finger on what it was that made these muffins so delicious... All I know is that they were very moist and quite flavorful. To be honest, I was actually going to add a streusel topping of sorts too, but I got lazy and didn't! And as it turns out, these muffins did not need a streusel topping at all! They were delicious on their own.

Oh, also of note, this recipe makes a lot of muffins! The recipe says it makes 16 muffins...but for me, this recipe made 12 regular-sized muffins, 24 mini ones, AND 1 mini loaf! That's a lot of blueberry goodness. :-D

Now it's your turn to go make some muffins bursting with flavor! I bet you can't eat just one. ;-) See you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment