Monday, November 26, 2012

Homemade Potato Chips (Made in the Microwave!)


I have a new favorite potato chip. And I can make it right at home!

A while back I pinned a recipe for microwaved, homemade potato chips. We received a mandoline as a shower gift this fall but had not used it yet. So when I had a couple potatoes to use up, I thought to myself, "hey, I should make those microwaved potato chips!" So, I did. ;)

This recipe could not be simpler. When I tried it, I had a sweet potato and a blue potato, so my chips were rather colorful! You can use any kind of potato you'd like though if you make these.

The recipe I followed is from The Kitchn (and no, that's not a typo - it's actually the Kitchn!).

Ingredients:

-potatoes
-olive oil
-salt and pepper

Instructions:

Line a large microwaveable plate with a couple layers of paper towels. Wash and dry your potato (or potatoes). Using a mandoline or a good knife, slice your potatoes very thinly (ideally, between 1/16" and 1/8"). Rinse the slices in cold water until the water runs clear. If you have the time, soak your potatoes for a few minutes in a bowl of cold water also. Dry the potato slices between two towels or by using a salad spinner (I used the salad spinner method, and it worked great). Arrange the slices on the paper towel-lined plate, fitting as many as you can on the plate but being careful not to let the slices touch (they will stick together if they touch). If desired, lightly brush the slices with olive oil, and season as you'd like (salt, pepper, other spices, etc.).


Microwave the slices at 100% power for 3 minutes. Flip each slice over, and microwave again at 100% power for 3 more minutes. If any chips are getting very crispy or browned, remove them. Any remaining chips that seem to need a little more cooking, cook them in the microwave at 50% power for 1-minute intervals. Remove when they are done to your liking. Let cool and enjoy!




Oh my goodness, these were sooo good! Most of the chips I made only took about 6 minutes total (3 minutes on each side). I had sliced mine pretty thinly, so that's probably why they didn't take any longer than the 6 minutes. I seasoned mine with a touch of olive oil and salt and pepper. Delicious! Next time I think I'll try some different spices.


I can't decide if I liked the blue potato or sweet potato chips better. Both were excellent! The hubby enjoyed both kinds too! These did not last long in our household...


I reused the paper towels for multiple batches. There really wasn't a need to use new paper towels each time. One note of caution: it does take a while to make these chips since each batch takes 6 minutes, and depending on the size of the plate you're using, you may not be able to make too many chips in one batch. And one potato is going to make quite a few chips, especially if you slice it thinly!


As you can see, a few of the sweet potato chips I made got a little more browned than is probably ideal. However, they still tasted great! They didn't taste burnt at all. So, no worries if your chips get a bit too browned or crispy. I bet they'll still be delicious. ;)


I wish I had taken better pictures of these chips. Sorry I didn't! I made them in the evening, when the lighting is horrible. And Mike and I may have eaten them all...ahem...so there were none left the next day to photograph in the daylight. Whoops!!

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment