Saturday, December 18, 2010

Boston Creme Pie Cupcakes!



Yes, you heard me right - boston creme pie cupcakes!  Haha.  Everyone knows boston creme pie is actually a cake...but I decided to turn it into cupcakes!  I needed a fun and delicious recipe for a coworker's birthday that not only the guest of honor would enjoy, but all of my coworkers would as well!  These seemed like they'd be a decent choice...and they were. :)

I pieced this recipe together somewhat using a few different sources. I'll explain what I did next...hope you don't mind following along. ;-)

First, the cake! This is a "basic sour cream yellow cake" recipe from the good ol' Cake Mix Doctor. The ingredients:

-1 box (18.25 oz. yellow cake mix)
-1 cup sour cream (I used vanilla yogurt instead)
-1/3 cup vegetable oil
-1/4 cup water
-1/4 cup sugar
-4 eggs
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-1 box instant vanilla pudding (just the powder) - this was my own addition to this recipe for an added vanilla flavor


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With electric mixer, beat cake mix, sour cream OR yogurt, vegetable oil, water, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and instant pudding powder in large mixing bowl. Beat at low speed for one minute, then stop and scrape sides of the bowl. Beat again for two minutes at medium speed. The batter should look thick and smooth. Pour into prepared cupcake cups (either greased or lined with muffin cups) and place in oven.


My cupcakes took about 15 minutes to bake, so I'd recommend checking them after 15 minutes. The Cake Mix Doctor says they take 18 to 20 minutes. This recipe will likely make about 18 to 22 cupcakes for you!


Let the cupcakes cool completely after they're done baking. Then scoop out about a tablespoonful of cake (or so) from the middle to make room for the filling! I use a grapefruit spoon to scoop out the middle. Its serrated edges work perfectly for this purpose!


Next, the vanilla "creme" filling!

I have to admit; I used a shortcut here. I had read some recipes to make a true vanilla custard filling, but honestly, I just didn't have the time. So, instead I simply made some instant vanilla pudding! It worked great, I must say. :)  So for this step, just go ahead and prepare the pudding according to the instructions on the box. I made one box using skim milk.




Finally, the chocolate ganache topping...yummmm.

Check out this recipe cuz its ganache recipe is what I used. ;-)






And a couple tips for you regarding the topping... After the chocolate is fully melted, it's best to let it sit for a little while (probably 10 minutes or so) so that it cools and thickens a bit. I did stir it every couple minutes as it sat though, just to keep checking on its consistency. If you try to put the ganache/glaze on the cupcakes too soon, it won't stay on the cupcakes that well and will just drizzle down the sides because it's too thin and warm.  There will be some chocolate that drips down the sides of the cupcakes a little, but it should still be thick enough to stay on top really well too. The few drizzles down the side are kinda fun for effect, don't you think?



These cupcakes were a major hit at work for my coworker Jon's birthday. WOW, were these good. The cake itself was really flavorful on its own but then you add the vanilla "creme" filling and chocolate ganache on top?! Yikes. ;-)



Now go make yourself some of these...you know you want to!!!!

1 comment: