Thursday, August 29, 2013

Chocolate and Cinnamon Chip Cookie Butter Cookies


I have a new favorite cookie. Since I made these a couple weeks ago, I've thought about them every day. I'm not joking. They're that good.

This fantastic recipe is from Buttercream Fanatic, a blog I started following just a few months ago. If you haven't yet checked out Buttercream Fanatic, I highly recommend that you do!! So many delicious recipes.

K, back to the cookies. Have you heard of cookie butter? Or perhaps Biscoff? Speculoos? If you haven't, then you neeeed to go out and buy some. This stuff is the best. It's like a gingerbread, cinnamon flavored "butter" - it has the consistency of peanut butter but doesn't taste like it. Let's just say that if it was acceptable, I would eat the stuff by the handful. 

When we were in Belgium on our honeymoon, coffee was always served with a little speculoos cookie or biscuit. I became obsessed with speculoos! We even had speculoos gelato a couple times. Sooo good. If you're not yet familiar with the flavor, you gotta get some! :)

These cookies could probably also be made with peanut butter in place of the Biscoff/speculoos/cookie butter. Buuuut, I don't think you should do that. Stick to the cookie butter!

Ingredients:

-3/4 cup Biscoff spread or cookie butter (e.g., from Trader Joe's)
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-1/4 cup white sugar (plus more for rolling)
-1/2 cup light brown sugar
-1 large egg
-1 tsp. vanilla
-3/4 tsp. baking soda
-1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1 and 3/4 cups flour
-1/4 cup chocolate chips
-1/2 cup cinnamon chips

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350. Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper or a silpat. In a large mixing bowl, cream the Biscoff/cookie butter and butter for a minute or two. Add both sugars and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and mix until incorporated. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Finally, fold in the chocolate and cinnamon chips.

Scoop cookie dough into 1 to 2-inch balls (whatever your preference; I made mine smaller), and roll in white sugar (either the whole cookie or just the top half; I rolled the whole cookie). Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly golden brown (the tops won't brown much). The cookies should be puffed and cracked on top. Let sit on cookie sheet for a couple minutes before removing to cool completely on rack.

Depending on the size of your cookies, this recipe yields about 24 to 30 cookies. Store in airtight container for up to a week.


 Isn't this a fun kitchen towel? :)


I made these cookies for our frisbee team's end-of-the-season party. Boy, were they a hit! I think people's reactions to this cookie were some of the most positive I've had in a while. There was a lot of excitement surrounding these cookies!!!


As I said before, I've been thinking of these cookies every day since I made them.

They. Are. That. Good.


Never heard of Biscoff spread or cookie butter? Have no fear! I bet it's in your nearby grocery store. It's actually pretty available, so you should probably look for it on your next trip to the store. :)


And then...MAKE THESE COOKIES!!


You'll be SO glad you did.


No comments:

Post a Comment