Friday, February 5, 2010

Original Chex Party Mix

What inspired me to make chex mix? A craving! It popped into my mind today and I decided that I had to have it. So I stopped at the store on my way home to pick up the ingredients and I was on my way! I remember that my mom used to make chex mix quite often...well, that is my memory anyway. I'm not actually sure how often she made it. But I most definitely remember how yummy it was! Tonight I was debating whether to jazz it up and make a variation of the original recipe by changing the flavor/seasoning. There are many variations out there! There are various salty mixes like hot and spicy, cheesy ranch, and chili and garlic... And then there are sweet mixes such as ginger honey, chocolate peanut butter, and snickerdoodle... I opted for something that is pretty darn close to the original recipe with a few slight variations. When I tasted my final product tonight, the taste definitely reminded me of the classic flavor. YUM!!
The original recipe can be found here. What did I do differently? Well, to start, I did change up the ingredients ever so slightly. Here's what I added:
-3 cups corn chex
-2 cups rice chex
-2 cups bite-size pretzels
-2 cups whole grain cheez-its
-1 and 1/2 cups oyster crackers
-1 and 1/2 cups dry roasted peanuts
-6 Tbsp. butter margarine
-2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
-1 and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
-3/4 tsp. chili powder
-1/2 tsp. onion salt
I kept the total amount of the dry ingredients the same as the original recipe (13 cups in all) so that I didn't have to adjust the liquid ingredients (melted margarine and Worcestershire sauce). The only seasoning I kept the same is the garlic powder (although I added more!). I chose to do chili powder and onion salt mainly because I didn't have the other two ingredients in the recipe, which were seasoned salt and onion powder.
I also decided to bake the chex mix instead of trying the microwave method. That definitely would have been faster (probably like 15 minutes total instead of over an hour!), but I wanted to smell the delightful aroma of chex mix throughout the house :) and I figured that would happen more easily if I baked the mix.
Mmmmm...love this recipe! You can never go wrong with a classic treat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment