Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Butterscotch White Chocolate Peanut Butter


It's times like these when I wish we had the capability to send smells through the Internet. The aroma of this butterscotch white chocolate peanut butter is absolutely one of my new favorite things. It's addictive. Like, I want to open the peanut butter container and just sit there and smell it for a looong, looong time.

Sorry. I'm strange. :)

But really, if you make this peanut butter you'll understand what I'm talking about! The roasted peanuts, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, and vanilla extract come together in an awesome way. And of course, not only does this peanut butter smell amazing, but it tastes amazing too!

I recently made this peanut butter as a birthday gift for my sister (happy birthday again, sista!). She is the biggest fan of white chocolate that I know...and she's also quite the butterscotch fan...so I knew she'd love this peanut butter!

This wonderful recipe comes from the lovely Averie of Averie Cooks. Remember a couple weeks ago when I posted about homemade peanut butter? Well, that was Averie's great recipe, just like this one is hers. Since initially making that peanut butter, I've continued to make homemade peanut butter on a regular basis, and I'm hooked! But I also have quickly become intrigued by the flavored varieties of homemade pb, and so I ventured into the butterscotch white chocolate world with this recipe...

As with the plain peanut butter, this recipe could not be easier. The food processor does all the work! Averie's recipe calls for using honey roasted peanuts but I actually used plain roasted peanuts, simply because that's what I bought at the store. I bet honey roasted would be amazing though! The ingredients below are what I used, and Averie's original recipe can be found here. I modified it slightly; I used a smaller amount of both types of baking chips and also slightly less of the vanilla extract too (2 tsp. vs. 1 Tbsp.).

Ingredients:

-16 oz. roasted peanuts (unsalted)
-2 tsp. vanilla extract
-3/4 cup butterscotch baking chips
-3/4 cup white chocolate baking chips
-pinch of salt, optional

Instructions:

Add peanuts to food processor, and process on high until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add the vanilla, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, and salt, if using. Continue to process, about 2 to 3 minutes or until everything is well-incorporated and desired consistency is reached.

Transfer peanut butter to a glass jar or an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks or store in refrigerator for a few months.

If you store the peanut butter in the fridge, it will harden slightly. Before using it, I'd recommend taking it out of the fridge to sit at room temperature for 10 or 15 minutes. Then it will spread quite nicely.


As you may notice if you look at Averie's original recipe, it calls for 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of both types of chips. I started with just 3/4 cup of each and then tasted it... And I liked what I tasted, so I stopped there! But you could definitely add more baking chips if that suits your tastes.



Honestly, it's like magic to make peanut butter at home. I said that in my post about regular peanut butter too, and it's so true! I love watching it come together. You can sit back and relax while the food processor does all the work with this one.


As you can see, immediately after the peanut butter was done, it was a really nice, smooth consistency. And as I mentioned above, this will go away somewhat if you store it in the fridge. If you keep it at room temp, this consistency will stay better. But, your peanut butter won't last as long at room temp... But honestly, in whose house is this peanut butter going to last a long time anyway?! It will disappear so quickly, I promise you!


I didn't take too many pictures of this peanut butter. I gave 95% of it to my sister in a recycled/reused peanut butter jar, and I have to admit, I kept about 5% of it for Mike and me! I couldn't resist! Sista, I'm sorry that I only gave you 95% of your birthday gift. I couldn't help it. I know you understand. ;)


Just a word of caution... Be careful about going near this peanut butter with a spoon. One thing might lead to another and, well...before you know it, your spoon might be scraping the bottom of the jar. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment