Friday, February 22, 2013

Molasses Cookies

Helloooooo!

So. Glad. It's. Friday. 

I hope you are too. :)


Heading into the weekend, I have a fabulous cookie recipe for you. If you caught my Wedding Wednesday post this week, you saw that I shared the details behind one of our wedding favors, which was a cookie cutter and a couple family cookie recipes. One of those recipes was my mom's sugar cookie recipe, and the other recipe was my mother-in-law's molasses cookie recipe. The sugar cookie recipe is already on the blog, but the molasses cookie isn't yet...well, until today!

Ingredients:

-3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter
-1 cup sugar
-1/4 cup molasses
-1 egg
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1/2 tsp. salt
-2 tsp. baking soda
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-1/2 tsp. ground cloves
-1/2 tsp. ground ginger

-a few tablespoons of extra granulated sugar
for rolling cookie dough in

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Melt butter in saucepan, and let it cool to room temperature. Mix the sugar, molasses, and egg with the butter, stirring until combined. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl (flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger). Mix the dry ingredients with the butter mixture until well incorporated. Shape the dough into balls the size of walnuts. In a small bowl, place a few extra tablespoons of granulated sugar. Roll each ball of dough in sugar and place on parchment paper. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies start to brown slightly and "crinkle." Let cool for a couple minutes on cookie sheet before removing to cool completely on cooling rack. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Makes approximately 30 cookies.


I mixed this cookie dough by hand, and it was super easy to bring it together. No mixer required! You could probably use one if you wanted to, but it worked just fine for me to mix everything by hand.


The texture of these cookies is fabulous. They are soft and chewy, almost bendable. We decided that they're like a soft gingersnap.

Although I do enjoy a crunchy cookie every now and then, my heart definitely lies with chewy cookies. If yours does too, the chewiness of these molasses cookies will not disappoint, I promise!


Notice those lovely crinkles in the cookies? Those will start to form as the cookies bake. The crevices of the crinkly part may seem slightly undercooked when these cookies come out of the oven, and that's okay. Once they set for a few minutes, they will be just right. In my opinion, with these particular cookies, it's best to err on the side of just slightly underdone...


Along with being top notch in the texture department, these cookies were also excellent in flavor. The combination of the molasses, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger was wonderful! Making these cookies last weekend reminded me of how much I love these flavors together... 

This may be the best molasses cookie I've ever eaten.

No, really.



I need to remember to incorporate molasses in my life on a more regular basis. :)


And you should too! And of course, you should start by making this awesome cookie recipe.


Thank you to my mother-in-law for sharing a wonderful family recipe! I can foresee these becoming a regular occurrence in our household for years to come...

Happy almost weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment