Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Avocado and Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Greetings! Did you realize that April is National Grilled Cheese Month?! What a great food item to celebrate! I love grilled cheese and always have. As I'm sure it is for many of you, it's a comfort food for me that always makes me happy when I eat it. Pair a grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of hot tomato soup and you've got yourself a perfect, comforting meal...


I did not happen to enjoy tomato soup with this tomato and avocado grilled cheese sandwich, however, because it was perfectly delicious and filling on its own! ;)

I must admit that it was a bit of a messy sandwich, but every once in a while, the messier the better, right?


Ingredients:

-two slices of your favorite bread (I happened to have Arnold 7-Grain on hand so I used that)
-2 slices of cheese (your choice!)
-tomato slices (I used 4 slices of plum tomato)
-avocado slices (I used about 1/2 of one avocado)
-butter or margarine

Instructions:

Butter one side of each of the bread slices. On the non-buttered side, put 1 slice of cheese (or however much cheese you want :)). Place one piece of bread, buttered side down, on a grill or fry pan over medium heat. Heat until the cheese just starts to melt, and then add the tomato and avocado slices, followed by the remaining cheese and other bread slice. Continue to cook over low to medium heat until the bread is grilled to your liking and the cheese is all ooey-gooey and melty (I'm pretty sure those are technical cooking terms). 


I happened to use good ol', classic American cheese for this sandwich simply because I had bought some at the deli earlier in the week and needed to use it up! I always have some cheese on hand and would probably recommend most any type of cheese with this sandwich! Provolone, monterey jack, or pepper jack are a few of my favs that you may find in my fridge at any given time...


Have you ever had Pretzel Crisps? I looove them! They come in several different flavors and are honestly just so good! A few of these crisps paired perfectly with my sandwich. I've recently become semi-obsessed with Pretzel Crisps and always seem to have a bag on hand...but that bag never seems to last long. Hmmmm...


Only a few more days to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month, so you'd better head straight to your kitchen and make yourself a delicious sandwich! :)

What are some of your favorite grilled cheese sandwich ingredient combos? I'd love to hear them!



No comments:

Post a Comment