Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pumpkin Waffles


Warning. I'm back on the pumpkin kick! Well, let's be honest. I never really went off it... I've still been creating yummy treats with my beloved pumpkin all along. I've just taken a break for a couple posts from sharing the recipes with you.

I made these pumpkin waffles a few weeks ago and thought they were super yummy. They take a little extra time to make, but if you've got the time, they're totally worth it!! The recipe is from Smitten Kitchen, a wonderful food blog that I've mentioned before. I'm posting the original ingredients below, although when I made these, I halved the recipe. I think that half the recipe made about 10 or so waffles for me?

Ingredients:

-2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (you could easily do half AP and half whole wheat here)
-1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
-2 and 1/4 tsp. baking powder
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1/2 tsp. salt
-2 tsp. cinnamon
-1 tsp. ginger
-1/4 tsp. cloves
-4 lage eggs, separated
-2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
-1 cup canned pumpkin
-6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

Instructions:

Preheat waffle iron. Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Separate eggs. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl with buttermilk, pumpkin, and melted butter until smooth. In a mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until they hold a soft peak (like in the second picture below). Fold them into the waffle batter until just combined, Brush waffle iron lightly with vegetable oil or spray it with cooking spray. Spoon batter into iron, spreading it quickly, and cook until done (however long that is for your particular waffle maker!). I used around 3/4 to one cup of batter for every two waffles. If desired, keep waffles warm in a 250 degree oven while you cook the remaining batter.








The Saturday morning that I made these, I actually ate mine with both butter AND maple syrup (the real stuff, of course). For some reason I was in the mood for both tasty toppings. Obviously you can enjoy them however you would like to. :) And there's a chance I ate the leftover ones cold.... And there's also a chance that they were delicious cold. Just sayin'!

4 comments:

  1. you are way too good to think about incorporating pumpkin into waffles- sounds pretty perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious. I love both pumpkin and waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is worth buying a waffle iron for! I know my family would LOVE these!
    mary x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saturday mornings absolutely CALL for butter and maple syrup combined. And pumpkin waffles. This probably explains why my saturdays have felt so devoid of delicious breakfasts lately!

    ReplyDelete