Thursday, May 6, 2010

Butterscotch Chocolate Bars


Greetings! I changed it up on my last post with a unique breakfast recipe for you (Breakfast Pizza), but I'm back to a more traditional Barbershop recipe this time around...a dessert! I actually have several recipes in the line up right now too; I have been very busy baking but I haven't kept up with blogging about each recipe. I actually made these butterscotch chocolate bars a couple weeks ago.

Alrightie, on to the recipe! I won't chat too much during this post, I promise. ;-) These bars take no time at all to make and are a crowd pleaser. It's a win win situation! I used a recipe from a book called the Favorite Brand Name Cookie Collection. The last time I was home in upstate NY, I was looking through some old cookbooks we used to use, and I came across this one. I was perusing through it and recognized several recipes we used to make...brought back many great memories! My mom didn't mind if I borrowed the book, so it's now in my possession. :) And even though I have made several recipes in the past, this one for the butterscotch bars was not one of them! So it's a new one to me, and it will be a keeper. Oops, I just chatted and I said I wouldn't...

Okay, here's the recipe!

-1 cup butterscotch flavored baking chips
-1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
-1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
-2 large eggs
-1/2 tsp. vanilla
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butterscotch chips in small, heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly; set aside. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla followed by the melted butterscotch chips. Add combined flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat until well blended. Spread batter evenly into greased 9-inch square baking pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and center is set. Remove pan from oven and immediately sprinkle with chips. Let stand about 4 minutes until chocolate is melted. Spread chocolate evenly over top. Cool completely and cut into squares. 

Next up for you are some pics of the process!


Chippy chips!



Mmmmm, the butterscotch chips look sooo yummy melted!



Here I am adding the melted chips to the rest of the batter.....


I love the butterscotch swirls in this picture!


When the bars come out of the oven, you immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips.


Here's a close up so you can see that the chips are starting to melt from the warm bars, fresh out of the oven.


This is after I had just begun to spread the chocolate....



And here's the final product!

Now, I actually forgot to take a picture of a butterscotch chocolate bar on its own! I must have been too distracted by the delicious flavor of this recipe. :-D So I don't have a picture to show you the final product alone, but here is a picture of the bars after I had removed a couple of them from the pan.

Yummmm.



Bon appetit from the Barbershop! See you next time!


2 comments:

  1. those look YUM-MAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...can I can I? please? Those look fabulous baker! You are so talented! I can't wait to come have dessert in your bakery or cafe one day!

    ReplyDelete