Thursday, February 4, 2010

Quick and Delicious Chicken Noodle Soup

Looking for a traditional soup recipe that's both easy and healthy? Craving a tasty comfort food when you're not feeling well? Wanting a hot meal to warm you up on a cold winter's night? Well, here's your recipe. This quick, low-calorie, delicious chicken noodle soup will satisfy each of the aforementioned needs. :)
This recipe was very easy and if I do say so myself, quite delicious. I actually made it for one of the typical purposes people make chicken soup...to help someone feel better! My brother had been sick with a bug of some sort for a few days, so I decided to make chicken soup to bring to him. I obviously didn't give him the whole batch though since I also tried it! Mike tried some too, and he liked it as well. An ironic note about this soup, by the way... I was already thinking of making soup to bring to Patrick and then my "Dinner Tonight" recipe from the MyRecipes.com e-newsletter that same day was this very recipe for Quick Chicken Noodle Soup!! How's that for irony? I took that as a sign and tried it out, and I am glad I did.
The nice thing about this particular recipe is that it calls for a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken that you can buy in the grocery store. So you save a lot of time not having to cook the chicken yourself! I followed the recipe almost as it is written. To the onion, carrot, and celery mixture (the "holy trinity"!), I also added some chopped fresh zucchini since I had some on hand. I added some minced garlic as the trinity cooked too. Oh, and I used a different pasta; I added rotini whereas the recipe calls for fusilli. Any pasta will do, I'm sure!
Oh, and I actually omitted the salt from the recipe... I think that soups are often inherently salty, and people's preferences for saltiness can vary quite a bit. I figured that if people wanted a saltier soup, they could just add their own at the end. Personally, I thought it was adequately salted just as I made it without adding more, but that's just me!
The next time you or someone you love is feeling under the weather, or the next time you're just in a mood for a comfort food, try this easy, healthy recipe! I would have loved to make some homemade rolls like my grandmother makes to go with this soup, but I didn't have the luxury of time at the time! Maybe next time around! By the way, do the oyster crackers in this picture below look familiar?! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment